Sunday 16 October 2011

Gradually getting there

Hello campers!

This week has been quite good regarding the development of the casework of the organ. As you'll already know from previous posts this month, I've started butchering the grade A quality oak I've got for the cabinet. The key cheeks for all four manuals are done(ish). They were all beautifully measured and amazingly it was correct even when I did it. The scrolling I did as a little decorative end was NOT easy. That took ages as it was my first time of using a scroll saw and putting oak that is quite thick through it with the wrong blade on (ahem) made for an interesting couple of evenings. I got there all I've got to do now is the glueing and screwing into place and then lots and lots of sanding to make it look lovely - which it will.

The next part of the project is to start on the cabinet. To be honest, I'm anticipating it being the easier part of the project. I've got most of the wood cut more or less to length so that's a start at least!

I've been doing a lot of research this week on using a router successfully. I borrowed my mother's as well as her router table (yes, my mother's, she's a funny girl!) and spent the other evening just getting a feel for them and just working out - without even turning it on - how it feels and how to attach the fence, bits and how to adjust the depth and things like that. I'm now the leading expert in the world when it comes to a router that's not been plugged in.

Youtube's fantastic for learning new skills. I've watched at least 3 hours' worth of tutorials on there which has been great - Very interesting indeed to be honest. It saves pratting about in the library for hours on end and then finding that the only reference book you can find was published in 1954 which would make it only slightly out of date in 1955.

Today's plans are to go out into the garage and have a few tentative attempts at using the router and if I'm really brave I might even knock up a side panel... if I'm REALLY brave AND LUCKY I might do two if they work out well. Well, there's nowt wrong whatsoever in optimism is there?

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment